Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

On Apr 8, 3:50*pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm looking for some good quality drill bits. *I'm planning to get a
full 29 piece index of both brad point and twist bit style. *As far as
brad point bits go, I'm probably going to go with Lee Valley HSS. *For
the twist bits though I'm wondering if I should go with cobalt or
cobalt coated or tatanium nitride or whatever - I have no idea what
they mean or what they do. *I just want a good set that will handle
unhardened steel in addition to wood. *Any info for me? *Thanks.

MEW

Should get my Bosch "Cobalt Twist Drill Bit Assortment with Metal
Index, 29-Piece" in a couple of days.

Stay tuned.

My understanding is that -- for the moment -- these are as good as it
gets, will still do a nice, clean job with wood, and ... will handle
those occasional, nagging titanium-drilling tasks that ... just come
up.

Split point ... SHOULD keep the bits from walking -- a major issue on
cheaper bits.

Bought them from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CO4029-C.../dp/B0000TZX3K

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to not breaking them, and having
them stay sharp longer....