Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LG dishwashers from Korea - any good?

On Apr 9, 10:22*pm, Tegger wrote:
Zootal wrote 6.97.131:

I went to Home Depot today and saw some LG dishwashers, from Korea.
Not cheap, nice looking. Anyone know anything about them, ie are they
any good and likely to last at least a few years?

Also saw a nice Electrolux at the local appliance center, but I'm not
quite ready to pay $1000 for a dishwasher, though I'm tempted if I
thought it would work good and last a long time.

Don't know about their dishwashers, but their fridges seem really well-
made.

About 19 years ago, we bought one of their bar fridges when they were still
called Goldstar. A few years ago, on the basis of the success we'd had with
the bar fridge, we bought a full-sized model with the LG brand on it. It's
been just fine.

A month after we bought the fridge, LG sent a technician to replace some
kind of motherboard under a recall campaign. Fridges have motherboards now.
Imagine that.

The only glitch with the full-size model is the door-open switch on the
lower door. When the door opened to the right (as-shipped), the switch *
worked properly. But when I re-hung the doors to left-hand opening, the
switch plunger ended up just a bit too short to reliably shut off the
interior lamp. I ran out of upward adjustment on the lower door, so I just
stuck a pad of Post-It Notes on the inside of the door to push the plunger
in a bit further. Same pad is still there now, still doing its job. I guess
I could have called it in as a warranty claim, but I was too lazy to do
that...

--
Tegger

I don't know about their dishwashers either, but I can tell you that
at least some of their dehumidifiers are junk. I have one made by LG
for Kenmore that is about 5 years old. A year ago, the fan motor
burned out. Bought a replacement one, which you can get for $28 to
$95 depending on where you buy it. The new one lasted about 6
months.
Doing some googling, I found a thread where many people were having
exactly the same problem with fan motors that continually fail. Some
people have said what really fails is the thermal fuse that is rated
at 130C and suggested replacing it with one that is 150C.

The really bad part is that, first this is just a simple motor that
turns a squirrel cage blower so there is no excuse for not having a
motor that works in their from day one. And second, posts in that
thread go back 5 plus years. In all that time, one would think they
would have found a replacement motor that is suitable and won't fail.

On the plus side, a friend has the high-end LG washer and dryer, and
so far, no problems there after a year. That is if you don't count
that the dryer would not light after I installed it. And that
wasn't LG's fault. Turns out the flex gas hose I bought at HD had a
dime in it pushed deep into the female connector. Probably put
their by some prankster or disgruntled employee. Of course, I never
thought to check the inside of the hose to make sure it wasn't
blocked. LG was super on that, they made a service call and didn't
charge.