Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT - Blue gas ?

"[SMF]" wrote in message
http://www.venturelighting.com/TechC...TechIntro.html

This one is a possibility, but all other suggestions / guesses are basically
a "no". The lamp is definitely the sort of shape shown on this website, and
looking at their colour chart, I would estimate the colour temp of the lamps
in question to be around 6000k. Which is interesting, because this seems to
put them into the 'custom' bracket, normal stockers running out at the
blue-y end of white, which is the range of colour temps that we tend to see
these lamps in, in warehouses and suchlike.

So I wonder why they would be using a 'custom' (read expensive ?) lamp like
this for illuminating a vehicle compound ? I can understand the ones
lighting the stainless steel sculptures, as I guess this is what the artist
wanted.

Just so that everyone understands the sort of colour intensity we're talking
here, the light is not white tending towards blue - like the HID headlamp
suggestions made. Nor is it wishy washy blue-filtered white like you used to
see on emergency vehicles when they had blue plastic domes over white xenon
flash tubes. It's not the sort of intense blue that your eyes sometimes have
difficulty focusing on (we had a factory in our town that had its name on
the roof using internally lit blue plastic letters, and it was almost
unreadable). This light is of the same sort of general hue and intensity, as
the high visibility blue LEDs that they are now using on emergency vehicles.
But it is definitely not LED based - you can clearly see the dischage tube.
It is very 'clean' light, easy to look at. If you imagine the sort of light
that you get from the pale lemon high pressure sodium discharge lamps, and
then think blue instead, that's about as close a description as I can do.

Arfa