Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

On 4/10/2010 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/10/2010 7:42 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

For things that are essentially boxes - like kitchen cabinets and,
perhaps, your entertainment center SketchUp has acquired a substantial
following.

Meh ... either a thinly veiled insult, or your ignorance is showing, or
both:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...-armcrest-rail

"Note that I did not scoop the seat in the SketchUp model..."

"I was able to trace over a scanned image of a top view of the Settee to
quickly achieve the flat face shown below."

So it can be used in conjunction with images produced elsewhere to
produce approximate copies of what has already been done with other
(circa 1820!) design tools - big deal.

"...essentially boxes...", eh? What a crock!

True, as illustrated in this settee example, only if tracing a digitized
image produced by other tools provides sufficient accuracy, and if
representing 3D curved surfaces (like the seat) as planar meets
requirements.

No insult was intended - I was attempting to point out a broad class of
design objects (which included the OP's immediate project) where I felt
SketchUp worked well for its users. If you interpret that as an insult,
perhaps you can explain why...

FWIW, when I /intend/ insult, there's no "thinly veiled" about it.

If you maintain that SketchUp is a superior tool for easily producing
accurate mathematical curves/surfaces in three dimensions (as is the
case in the many of _my_ woodworking projects) adequate for precision
production, then I invite you to produce the evidence - or to expand
your woodworking horizons.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar