Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I have always designed my projects using graph paper, ruler, pencil, and
(lots of) eraser. I have a somewhat more complicated job I want to do now.
There is a design for an entertainment center in FWW that I want to adapt.
I would like to take the measurements from the article, enter them on a
computer somehow, and then change the things I want. I have a friend who
uses Google Sketchup. He found it awkward to use and not that
sophisticated. I don't want to invest the money and a lot of learning time
on a CAD program unless I can get a recommendation on this group for a
product that one of you likes to use. Should I stick to my paper, pencil,
and eraser?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Your freind has not given the latest version of Sketchup a chance.
I have been using CAD programs since 1986. I used AutoCad LT from
1996-2008. I have been using Sketchup exclusively since 2008. I am not
going back!

First off as with any drawing program experience and or formal training is
an asset. There are numerous tutorials on line that will teach you what you
need to know for free. I highly recomend Sketchup. I recently designed and
built a bedroom project, 6 major components with probably 700-800 seperate
parts and I found the program drawings to be completely accurate.

While not the most sophisticated drawing program, most any wood working
project needs no more than what Sketchup has to offer.