Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Oxidisation of Seagate & WDC PCBs

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:20:55 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

I came across a reference to this Russian forum thread in a WDC forum:
http://maccentre.ru/board/viewtopic....70953&start=15

Here is Google's translator:
http://translate.google.com/translate_t?sl=ru&tl=en

The thread discusses oxidisation of contact pads in current Seagate
and Western Digital hard drives. The drives were used in typical
office and home environments, and are about a year old. The thread has
several detailed photos. All except the older tinned PCB appear to
show evidence of serious corrosion.

Does this mean we should apply contact protector, such as De-Oxit, to
the PCBs to prevent corrosion?

One of the sticky threads at the HDD Guru forums recommends that the
preamp contacts on WD drives be scrubbed clean with a soft white
pencil eraser whenever they come in for data recovery.

- Franc Zabkar