Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

HSS or cobalt steel are good steel drills - the fancy gold or reddish
coatings are that - just coatings that help lube the drill.

Tantalum nitride is a lube or wear resistance material only - says
NOTHING of the metal inside. Some of the nicest looking drills are
just junk.

M2, M42 are quality strength metals used as base metals.

Buyer beware - save money - look and research first!
Martin

Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 8, 5:50 pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm looking for some good quality drill bits. I'm planning to get a
full 29 piece index of both brad point and twist bit style. As far as
brad point bits go, I'm probably going to go with Lee Valley HSS. For
the twist bits though I'm wondering if I should go with cobalt or
cobalt coated or tatanium nitride or whatever - I have no idea what
they mean or what they do. I just want a good set that will handle
unhardened steel in addition to wood. Any info for me? Thanks.

MEW

I seldom drill in steel, so the suggestion I have deals with the
cabinet building/wood side of things. I really like, and almost always
use the tapered bits with an attached counter-sink. In my installation
toolbox I have a cheapo set of DeWalt bits which have the little pilot
tittie on the tip. Certainly not a set of 29.
I go nowhere without my trusty tapered bits.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240