Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default OT How the Corporations Broke Ralph Nader and America, Too.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"David R.Birch" wrote in message

In the summer of '68, I was a pump jockey at Wayne's Standard & U-Haul,
right next to Ernie von Schleidorn's Buick & Pontiac dealership in
Menomonee Falls, Wi.

Our mechanic was Louie, a guy renowned locally as a Corvair whiz. We
usually had 2-3 Corvairs or Corvans parked on the lot, usually with an
oil puddle underneath. Louie knew them inside and out, how to make them
run and how to make them run FAST.

He was always careful driving them into the bays because he didn't know
what he'd find when he had them in the air. The only ones he wouldn't
drive were the convertibles. Too flexible and he didn't trust the
suspension to keep the rubber down and the canvas up. THIS WAS IN THE
STATION LOT WHERE WE NEVER GOT OVER 5 MPH.

Damn.

David

g He's right that the convertible was a flexible flyer. That's what I
had. The passenger bay was inherently weak and the coupe did NOT provide
enough stiffness to overcome it. The convertible was much worse -- it had
reinforcement in the rocker area, but it wasn't enough.

That's one reason I drove the car in only one SCCA drivers' school -- it
was flaky as hell. But your friend overstated the case more than a little.
I had my '63 Fitch Corvair up over 100 mph at Old Bridge and certainly
higher at Lime Rock. It was vague, but no flakier than an
out-of-the-box-stock Porsche Speedster.

It was just a different kind of flakiness. With the Corvair, you would
steer and wait for the car to respond. With the Porsche, you would steer
and wait to see where the car really was going to go. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

An aside. Friend was driving is about 1955-56 Porsche Spyder in a 25 zone
in Lafayette, Calif. Very early one morning. Got it to slide on it's side.
Told the cop was a suspension failure at 25 mph. Cop could not prove
different. I doubt he ever drove the car at 25 mph for more than 5
milliseconds. Or the time it took to pass through 25 acceleration or
decelerating. Actually did not do that much damage to the car. ;)