Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT How the Corporations Broke Ralph Nader and America, Too.

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I read it, the latter Corvairs were safer, too late to save the brand.
Compared to today,
the 60's cars are death traps for the most part.

Wes

The pre-'65s were the ones with the swing axles, and a frame that had
serious weaknesses in the central bay. The swing axle was just fine for
moderate driving. But, pressed hard, the car was a wild thing that took
some
experience to handle. On the racetrack it absolutely needed heavy
modifications. (I spun mine at Old Bridge Speedway in NJ, even with a
bunch
of modifications, because, en extremis, the rearward weight bias took over
and that was all she wrote). In '64, there was a factory-installed
transverse spring that had the same effect as a stabilizer bar -- it
reduced
the tendency for the suspension to jack.

Okay, going for a rewrite on this reply, you will never see my first
attempt

Racing tends to uncover handling qualities that Joe Blow only learns about
when something
on the roadway causes him to explore the limits of his vehicle with no
prior experience.

Sure. Or coming into an exit ramp off a highway that's far tighter than he
realized, or couldn't see. That's probably what put most Corvairs off the
road.

I *still* haven't got used to driving a front wheel drive though mentally
I can force
myself to perform the counter intuitive 'right' response when I find
myself at the edges
of the envelope. I *DON'T* like it though.

Starting in '65, the car had a better unibody and they went to a four-link
rear suspension that was functionally the same as double wishbones. At the
time, it was the most advanced suspension on any US-built car, along with
the Corvette.

GM did get it right at the end. I still like the looks of that car. A
VeeDub on steroids

But GM screwed the pooch by putting up so much resistance to Nader's
assault, particularly by trying to entrap him with a prostitute and some
other underhanded things. I think the Corvair could have weathered it all,
but trust in the company was shot to hell.

Company or the car?

Both. It was thoroughly screwed. I remember it well. People began to ask why
I drove that "death trap." It made me furious. But it was a good question,
actually.

I don't care much for GM vehicles, I know, I drive a Saturn but that was
from the Spring
Hill days. Everyone that my family has owned for an extended period of
time has had brake
lines rust out and burst. How hard is that to correct? Sir would you
like to pay 5 bucks
more for decent plating?

Nader isn't my cup of tea though when he gets a shot on the news programs,
I'll give him a
listen. He seems to have a bit of corporate hatred while having invested
his income
streams in the market and doing okay. Ralph isn't poor. Sometimes I
think him a bit
hypocritical but that is my opinion.

Wes

Nader bought five pairs of shoes on sale after he graduated from college and
wore them for over 20 years. For decades, all of his money went into his
causes.

We may disagree with his causes but he remains one of the few men involved
in politics and policy who has genuine integrity.

--
Ed Huntress