Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.firefighters,sci.engr.joining.welding
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default What work gloves do you use for heavy infestation of poison oak & ivy (covered in urushiol)?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:58:05 -0400, Which Doktor wrote:

Ask your pharmacist about IvyBlock.

I didn't mention it but you can see a bottle of the stuff in the pictures I
posted at
http://img696.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=45906740.jpg

Apparently it's the same bentonite that drillers use.

I didn't mention it (because I was concentrating on the gloves), but I use
layering when I cut tunnels in the chaparral of Western Poison Oak
(Toxicodendron diversilobum or Rhus diversiloba):

1. Ivy Block on my hands and wrists (also face and neck, ankles and feet);
2. Nitrile gloves on my hands
3. Gauntlet style heavy leather work gloves (pig or deerskin mig welding
gloves)

Chemicals alone won't prevent poison oak rash at the huge concentrations
I'm being exposed to.

I can see the oils on my gloves and clothes before it turns black. It takes
a day or so to turn black but you can see the oil it's so thick (and it
takes only a few molecules, the size of a pin point, to give you a rash).