Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT - Blue gas ?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

So, what gas ionises with an intense and very 'clean' blue light ? A
few of these lamps have sprung up around my town. A couple light up
some pieces of art school stainles steel 'sculpture' in a local park.
I hadn't taken too much notice of them, until another example appeared
on the top of a tall pole, illuminating the vehicle compound of a
premises on the same business park as my wife's place is.

The lamp itself looks like a typical high pressure sodium type -
basically tubular with a bulge in the middle. But the light it gives
off is an extremely intense blue. What's in there, and what is the
rationale behind illuminating a compound with this colour ? Seems to
chase off the shadows pretty good, but I wouldn't have thought that it
suited CCTV very well ?

Arfa

xenon? the xenon lamps for autos have a bluish tint.
and the extra UV might make a difference for the CCTV.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik