Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.firefighters,sci.engr.joining.welding
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default What work gloves do you use for heavy infestation of poison oak & ivy (covered in urushiol)?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:32:58 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:

http://img696.imageshack.us/g/45906740.jpg/

Go cheap and just throw them away when you are finished.

Cheap would be fine if it also worked (at least once).

But, as shown in the well-annotated pictures here (
http://img696.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=45906740.jpg ) ...

Neoprene or latex or nitrile gloves are cheap, but they tear in seconds
outdoors and they don't cover the wrists from urushiol (still, I wear them
UNDER the leather gloves) ...

Garden gloves are less cheap (about 10 bucks a pair); but they don't work
(too thin, too short, and too permiable too urushiol) ...

Welders gloveds are decidedly not cheap; and they seem to work the best (so
far); but I'm wasting lots of time and money on testing them one by one
(first oxy cowhide, then mig pigskin, and now mig goatskin (next would be
mig deerskin))...

Surely someone other than me has worked in poison oak/ivy before me?

What do outdoor firefighters use for gloves?
What do outdoor field workers use for gloves?

Certainly someone must have the experience & recommendation that I lack for
outdoor gloves that are long, durable, and can be washed repeatedly???

Here are my experiments so far (deerskin mig welding gloves are next):
http://img696.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=45906740.jpg