Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default HF hydraulic press Question

On Apr 8, 11:28*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:
I bought the Harbor Freight 20 Ton hydraulic press today. *

The table [they refer to it as the apron] rocks on the pins. *It's
twisted. *When I hold one end down, there's a 5/32" gap at the
opposite end. *Do they all rock this much? *Does it make any
difference or make it more difficult to line things up to press them
out?

I tried taking the twist out by clamping one end and pumping the
hydraulic until the table was flat against the pins, but it just
returned after pressure was released.

RWL

I think you could put the pin in one end and a single bolt in the low
side of the other and then press it far enough that it springs back
straight. When I do this sort of job I measure how far I pushed the
metal and how far out it still is afterwards. Then next time I can
push it further by the amount of the error.

Say I pressed it 1/2" past alignment and after releasing the pressure
it was still 1/8" short. Next time I'd press it 5/8".

jsw