Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Am I a fool to buy this mill/drill?

On 2010-04-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:

* * * * Take a single parallel and lay it down on the clean bed of the
vise, so your 3" sine bar footprint won't cause problems.

They are thin sine bars like (A):
http://www.penntoolco.com/images/catalog/4820.gif
which were a waste of money. They are almost too tall for my milling
vise anyway.

I don't think I've ever had to mill a flat surface at an angle that
wasn't an integral number of degrees, usually a multiple of 5, so the
angle block set has been more useful than my gage blocks. I've used
them with a sine bar only to measure the angle of a conical taper.

* * * * I've used the 2.5" sine bar in my shaper's vise to make a piece
of aluminum have half the included angle of an Acme thread to use it in
a toolmaker's vise for setting the half-angle on my surface grinder for
making a couple of Acme threading tools. *The toolmaker's vise was
mounted on a sine plate to set the relief angles for the particular
thread pitch being cut -- reversed for the internal threading tool of
course.

...3-way-swiveling Univise.

* * * * O.K. *I don't have one of those.

The Univise was adequate for my gear cutter but it would be difficult
to set close enough for a precision Acme thread. I bought it to use as
the base of a Quorn-style tool holder.

There are half and quarter degree plates available for the angle block
sets.

jsw