Jon Elson

Default small/portable oxyacetylene rigs

Tim wrote:
Greetings,

What I can glean from past posts leads me to believe that most are
disappointed or frustrated with the MC sized portable rigs (Harris
Port-a-Torch, etc) on offer. I got a small rig because I can exchange
the tanks on foot if I have to. I'm trying to start/run a tiny
workshop in a major metropolitan area. Space is at a premium and I
have no car.

I'd like to hear if anyone is actually happy with their portable rig,
and from anybody that has advice on getting the most out of a
portable, but otherwise very limiting outfit. Any suggestions on
set-up, conserving gas, regulator quality, and safety, etc. would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

I worked my way up from Bernzomatic Oxygen tanks (about 10 minutes on
their TINY torch) through 20, 40 and now 80 Cu Ft tanks. The 80 Cu Ft
is about right for me. I can get a couple hours of light work out of
it. I have a cuting torch, but never use it. Oxygen is just too expensive.

As for fuel gas, I'm using Propylene. I can get all the heat I want,
and it is supposed to be much less likely to cause explosions,
backfires, etc. I don't weld with it, although I really can't see
any reason you couldn't, with the correctly adjusted flame. I braze
and heat metal for bending, primarily, with it. The Propylene
(generic form of MAPP) is stored as a liquid, so a small tank will
last forever!

Jon