Jim Stewart

Default small/portable oxyacetylene rigs

Tim wrote:

Greetings,

What I can glean from past posts leads me to believe that most are
disappointed or frustrated with the MC sized portable rigs (Harris
Port-a-Torch, etc) on offer. I got a small rig because I can exchange
the tanks on foot if I have to. I'm trying to start/run a tiny
workshop in a major metropolitan area. Space is at a premium and I
have no car.

I'd like to hear if anyone is actually happy with their portable rig,
and from anybody that has advice on getting the most out of a
portable, but otherwise very limiting outfit. Any suggestions on
set-up, conserving gas, regulator quality, and safety, etc. would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

What has served me well for many years is this:

Full sized regulators
Bottles next size up from MC
Used little Victor "aircraft" torch with tips starting at 000
Old full-sized used Japanese torch and gas axe

I've done jewelry, sheet metal, brazing, welding,
heat-treating and cutting and the limitation has
always been my skill level rather than the equipment.

If you get used equipment, invest a few
dollars in new tip o-rings and flashback
preventers. The welding store will know
what you're talking about.

I do look forward to getting a TIG someday and
trading the oxy bottle for TIG gas.