Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default rotten threshold

keith wrote:
On Apr 8, 3:48 pm, J Burns wrote:
Four years ago I replaced the rotten threshold of my back door. I took
a plank from a pallet, sawed and planed it to fit, caulked, applied two
coats of Thompson's sealer, and painted.

Before long, the wood was getting wet. It soon rotted.

What's a better way to make a threshold?

Don't wet it.

Thompson's is junk. Never use the stuff. If you want it to last in a
wet environment use a wood rated for ground contact.

Plus, take the door frame out and reinstall it properly with flashing
and sealing in the appropriate places. Seen a lot of rotted thresholds
in my life, and almost all were due to ponding water from outside,
because whoever added the porch didn't hold it down an inch or two like
you are supposed to, and didn't seal or flash under it. (rim joist right
under door in basement usually has visible water marks.) Most of the
other rotten thresholds were from water entering at top or sides of door
frame, traveling down the gap between jamb and rough opening, and
ponding on subfloor under threshold.

--
aem sends...