Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default question on termites

"gpsman" wrote in message
On Apr 7, 12:09 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

Yep. That's why I suggested they get at least two pros to come out and

give
an inspection. They will tell the OP what they have

That's a huge maybe.

Agreed. As I said, you don't know whether you're getting a true
professional or a kid who was a fry cook at MickyD's last month. Best bet
is to use some clear tape, pick up some carcasses with it and send it to
your local Ag. extension office. They don't have a financial incentive to
make you think flying ants are termites but PCO's do.

In MT they came up with a requirement for structures to be inspected
and "certified" by a PCO as "termite free" before closing which, of
course, sans treatment, is impossible.

Are you a Big Sky guy? The first house I bought, I got screwed because I
didn't realize that the words "no live termite infestation" on the
inspection report wasn't the same as "No evidence of termites." The first
phrase meant that there was previous termite damage and that they would
likely be back.

I wouldn't do it, but every other PCO did.

They often also failed to remove visible mud tubes after treatment
leading any subsequent PCO with evidence of termites, but no termites.

That's just plain idiotic and why I feel confident I can do a better job
simply because I have a bigger stake in the outcome. I make sure that the
tubes are not just scraped cleaned, but washed off and treated with Home
Depot's anemic termite spray. You have to do that to make sure that any mud
tubes you see are new ones.

It was also not unusual to be called for a bid where 2 other PCOs had
told the HO swarming ants were termites, or get requests for post-
treatment inspections the treating PCOs failed to complete after the
check cleared.

The guys I got at least knew their business. I wanted the inspection to
confirm my own findings, and it did. They didn't give me any useful tips
that Google hadn't already supplied. In fact, that's how I first heard
about stakes.

The first PCO wanted to drill deep holes around the foundation of my
basement from the inside and pump termicide into the holes. I didn't like
the sound of that and I wondered how it was going to help if the entry was
high up, like the termites that got into my neighbor's house via the cable
TV entryway. I decided to try self-treatment instead and so far, so good.

The scumbags have made termite treatment largely a criminal enterprise
and one would be wise to caveat emptor their ass off.

I got the strong feeling that the price was dependent on their read of the
client's smarts, lifestyle and how thick their wallet was. If you drive a
Mercedes, park it somewhere else when you're getting a quote and at least do
your basic research on line.

Termites eat slow and breed slow, there is no reason to be in a rush
to treat.

Mostly. If you're a new homeowner and you go into your basement on the
first warm day of spring to find 100's of slow flying bugs shedding their
wings and coupling like little subway cars, it's hard not to feel a little
bit of panic. The bad PCO's thrive on that fear and charge for it. (-:

Carpenter ants are another story...

Anyone read "Leningen v. the Ants" by H.G. Wells? Made into at least one
bad movie starring the perpetual scifi movie start, Charlton Heston.

--
Bobby G.