Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Whittingham Mark Whittingham is offline

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

On 2010-04-08, Denis M wrote:

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message
the twist bits though I'm wondering if I should go with cobalt or
cobalt coated or tatanium nitride or whatever - I have no idea what
they mean or what they do. *I just want a good set that will handle
unhardened steel in addition to wood. *Any info for me? *Thanks.

HSS drill bits are better:

I have used common carbon steel and coated drill bits. *Superior results
were obtained with genuine HSS. *
Many drill bits are labeled HSS but not all are made with true

Jes where does one find those?

Anyway.... *I don't know spit about wood bits, but as a machinist, for
twist bits get gen-you-whine (like Denis says) High Speed Steel (HSS).
Accept no substitutes. *Forget "coated" or "nitride" or that real
scam, the "chrome vanadium" nonsense on the $5 table. *They're all
junk. *Get real HSS or nothing. *You could go "carbide" (not carbon!),
but that's money wasted unless you really need it. *For wood, believe
me, you don't.

HSS it is. thanks all.
MW