Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

On 2010-04-08, Denis M wrote:

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message

the twist bits though I'm wondering if I should go with cobalt or
cobalt coated or tatanium nitride or whatever - I have no idea what
they mean or what they do. I just want a good set that will handle
unhardened steel in addition to wood. Any info for me? Thanks.

HSS drill bits are better:

I have used common carbon steel and coated drill bits. Superior results
were obtained with genuine HSS.

Many drill bits are labeled HSS but not all are made with true

Jes where does one find those?

Anyway.... I don't know spit about wood bits, but as a machinist, for
twist bits get gen-you-whine (like Denis says) High Speed Steel (HSS).
Accept no substitutes. Forget "coated" or "nitride" or that real
scam, the "chrome vanadium" nonsense on the $5 table. They're all
junk. Get real HSS or nothing. You could go "carbide" (not carbon!),
but that's money wasted unless you really need it. For wood, believe
me, you don't.

If you have any doubts:

http://www.vermontamerican.com/Suppo...ps/Drill+Bits/

nb