Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

On Apr 8, 6:50*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 04/08/2010 04:40 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I go nowhere without my trusty tapered bits.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

I looked at those, but I realized that they really only apply to tapered
brass screws and you need to set the depth precisely to match the length
of the screw.

For assembly work I normally use rolled-thread screws where the shank is
almost the same as the root diameter. *The tapered drills don't match
these screws well at all.

Chris

For that kind of assembly work, I use an 1/8" brad point in an air
drill and #8 low root screws... usually 2".
You don't need a tapered screw to use the tapered bits. In fact, the
further in a regular screw goes into a tapered pilot hole, the better
grab you get. You don't go all the way to the bottom of the hole.