Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

On Apr 8, 6:40*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 8, 5:50*pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:

I'm looking for some good quality drill bits. *I'm planning to get a
full 29 piece index of both brad point and twist bit style. *As far as
brad point bits go, I'm probably going to go with Lee Valley HSS. *For
the twist bits though I'm wondering if I should go with cobalt or
cobalt coated or tatanium nitride or whatever - I have no idea what
they mean or what they do. *I just want a good set that will handle
unhardened steel in addition to wood. *Any info for me? *Thanks.

MEW

I seldom drill in steel, so the suggestion I have deals with the
cabinet building/wood side of things. I really like, and almost always
use the tapered bits with an attached counter-sink. In my installation
toolbox I have a cheapo set of DeWalt bits which have the little pilot
tittie on the tip. Certainly not a set of 29.
I go nowhere without my trusty tapered bits.http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

(I just buy the set of 5)