Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis M Denis M is offline

Default Drill bits - what's worth the money?

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message
I'm looking for some good quality drill bits. I'm planning to get a
full 29 piece index of both brad point and twist bit style. As far as
brad point bits go, I'm probably going to go with Lee Valley HSS. For
the twist bits though I'm wondering if I should go with cobalt or
cobalt coated or tatanium nitride or whatever - I have no idea what
they mean or what they do. I just want a good set that will handle
unhardened steel in addition to wood. Any info for me? Thanks.

MEW

HSS drill bits are better:

I have used common carbon steel and coated drill bits. Superior results
were obtained with genuine HSS. Many drill bits are labeled HSS but not all
are made with true

High Speed Steel. To convince yourself make a test drilling 1/2" and
greater dia holes in oak or maple using.