Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Home ac having problems - freon doesn't seem to be circulating

In article , TimR wrote:
On Apr 8, 8:32=A0am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:12=A0pm, TimR wrote:

On Apr 7, 10:54=A0am, (GregS) wrote:

One thing you can do is take a clamp ammeter around the 220 line and =

measure the amps.
On mine I measure 6 amps, which probably shows some loss of refridger=

ent

greg

As far as I know, there is no consumption of refrigerant in any
residential system.

If you're low, you have a leak. =A0You fix the leak and refill. =A0Ther=

is no periodic topping off of refrigerant that got used up, can't
happen.

Yes, but extremely small leaks of a few ounces a year can be almost
impossible to find and fix. =A0There are a lot of systems with that
problem. =A0The only practical solution is to add a little refridgerant
every couple years.

Yes, that's what many techs do. Shoot a quick squirt in, satisfy the
customer, guarantee a return visit next year.

Professionals on the other hand know how to fix the leak, and do the
job right.

I have used some window units for 40 years and still work.
When I see thin aluminum cores, you go to wonder.
The more efficient the more chance of failure.
Now my Cavalier was working great up untill
last month when all hell broke loose. The garage man says he tops his
off a couple times a year. Last year I was trying to top off my 77 280Z
with R134, and it worked for a while, longer than the last time I tried,
15 years ago. I gave away my last can when I sold the car.
Compressor leaks are common on the vehicles.

My House air sort of seems a little slow, but its only taking 1500 watts
and its supposed to be a 2.5 ton.

I had window air units taking 23 amps at 220.

greg