Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

Default Home ac having problems - freon doesn't seem to be circulating

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:12 pm, TimR wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:54 am, (GregS) wrote:

One thing you can do is take a clamp ammeter around the 220 line and measure the amps.
On mine I measure 6 amps, which probably shows some loss of refridgerent
greg

As far as I know, there is no consumption of refrigerant in any
residential system.

If you're low, you have a leak. You fix the leak and refill. There
is no periodic topping off of refrigerant that got used up, can't
happen.

Yes, but extremely small leaks of a few ounces a year can be almost
impossible to find and fix. There are a lot of systems with that
problem. The only practical solution is to add a little refridgerant
every couple years.

I've had very good luck with a stop leak from the company Cliplight
Manufacturing. I use it for systems that have tiny leaks that would
require a major disassembly to find. I always pull a deep vacuum on
anything that has been rebuilt and use nitrogen to blow through it
a few times. When me and my friends install a new system on a job
somewhere, the condenser may not be installed until the building or
home is ready to be occupied because too many condensing units have
been stolen. We will blow the lines and evaporator out with nitrogen,
install service valves on the line set, pressurize it with nitrogen
and leave it that way until it's time to set the condenser. The good
thing about leaving lines and evaporator charged with N2 is that we
know if there is a leak or if a carpenter put a nail through a line.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lby8fz

TDD