Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Solar powered homes and 40 hp cars -- or lack thereof -- as ametaphor.

On 2010-04-08, Existential Angst wrote:

The old VW Beetle had a whole 36 hp, which was then souped up to... 42 hp!
An air-cooled 4 cyl engine (no heavy fluid-filled radiator/cooling system).

I had the older 36bhp model and it only got around 30-32mpg. It
could hit 75mph on a good day, but cruise at 65mph all day. I went
cross country in it at least twice.

Yet, in the rush for a viable electric car, I don't think a single design
considers anything less than 100 hp.

See the Who Killed the Electric Car? Even the first one had 137bhp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59hAG-QG6dE

I've lamented the loss of fuel efficient cars for yrs, now. My '91 Honda
Civic Si hatchback got 38mpg and hit 87mph. It was the sporty model.

Why are cars of just 20 yrs ago no longer efficient? I think a lot
has to do with safety and convenience. My Si had no electric windows,
mirrors, door locks, etc. If I got center punched by anything heavier
than a Schwinn Varsity, I'd no doubt be taking a dirt nap right now.
All those motors have heavy copper in them. Front, side, top/bottom
airbags, reinforced crash cages, blah blah blah.... That's all dead
weight and needs more power to get one down the road.

The stupidly over-priced Chevy Volt is at 160 hp.

We demand it, we gotta pay for it.

The upshot of this will be the working class living in barracks, and all
that that implies.

I really don't see what your rant is about, other than just to whine.
No matter. At the rate we're net fishing the oceans dry, I figure the
human species has about 20 yrs, on the outside, left on the beat up
old orb. Enjoy it while you can.

nb