Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dead dishwasher - $250 for control panel?

JimT wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 23:20:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:16:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:46:43 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

JimT wrote:
"gpsman" wrote in message
On Apr 6, 4:20 pm, Zootal wrote:
Sigh...4 years, time to throw it away and buy another.

Anyone care to recommend a good dishwasher?
I don't believe there is more than a nickels worth of functional
difference in any like-type appliances.

Everybody makes a piece of **** designed only to outlive the
warranty,
such as they are these days. I think I got a whopping 90 days on
this
last $2200 TV.
snip
====

My Panasonic Viera has been going strong for over 6 years now. The
picture is as good as the day I bought it. Outlasted every TV I've
ever owned.

Again, shrug. One of my Trinitrons is 12 years old, the other maybe
six? (bought it used). Both get heavy use, both still work
perfectly. (Damn Sony quality- I can't justify buying flat-screens
till these die.)
As someone who feels that Sony is the best TV, and a used Sony is the
second best TV, I have to tell you that the picture on a 12 year old
Trinitron is NOTHING like the picture was when it was new. At 6 years
the deterioration would be noticable in a side by side comparison
with
a new one.

Phosphors get tired.

Actually, it's the electron guns that get tired. Years ago when I
was in the TV repair business, rebuilt picture tubes were a very
big business. I haven't seen a rebuilt picture tube in 20 years.
It's my understanding that the only phosphors that would be replaced
would be those in projector tubes because of the high output. I
think there is only one picture tube rebuilding company left in
The U.S. now.

TDD
No, that is a different issue. The guns get coated, and you can get a
little more life out of them by blowing that coating off with a burst
of electricity to the cathodes. They call this "Picture Tube
Rejuvenation. Once you do it, you are on a short schedule for
replacement. Sometimes you could get as good a result by tapping on
the neck of the tube to knock some of the cake off. You could actually
see the crap flake off. They also used to sell something called a CRT
brightner, which simply raised the voltage to the filiments. This also
hastened ultimate failure. Often rejuvenation resulted in immediate
failure. It's really a desperate move.

None of that will cure tired phosphors, which are simply less reactive
then newer ones. The phosphors get tired and the picture quality
suffers.

The guns are factory coated, the blaster makes a fresh surface because
the old surface loses efficiency. The B&W and single color tube coating
of phosphors can be renewed from what I've read. The color tubes have
the three different color phosphors deposited on the faceplate before
it is welded to the glass bell which would make it unlikely to be an
economical prospect for re-coating. I used my Sencore picture tube
tester many a time to add a little life to an old set along with all
the little booster gadgets that were on the market 35 years ago. I miss
those wonderful electric shocks I received from the horizontal output
tubes when my elbow touched an anode cap. I'm much better now. BZZZZZ!

TDD
I explained it correctly and factually.

Well tell me, what do the guns get coated with during proper operation?
I'm always open to learning new things because regardless of what I may
think, I don't know everything. *snicker*

TDD

Well, you have some nerve posting here!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

TDD