Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass[_8_] Vass[_8_] is offline

Default How best to connect two water barrels?

"NT" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 6:24 pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends involved)
from the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are fitted with
taps, but I would always prefer to drain the water from the lower barrel
B as it is a little more accessible. How best to connect these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to
the lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option? Or maybe there are other options that I
not thought of?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Ed

all depends how much difference in ground height there is

yup, connect near bottom avoiding the very bottom to stop muck blocking the
through pipe
but this only works if both barrels are same height,
or...
if different heights, and connected at bottom, the higher one will only fill
to the lower height before the lower one then spills the water.

Connection can be with a piece of hose pipe (maybe insulated) as you're not
going to have a quicker rate of flow than the tap (unless its huge of
course)
--
Vass