Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Allen driver needed

On 8 Apr, 14:18, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
I have an expensive item that is manufactured from Billet Aluminum.
It is assembled with 316 stainless steel csk hex head screws.

I need to disassemble and the screws are stuck fast.

The heads are 7/32" hex imperials * (yep 100% sure - It's a US manufactured
product)

I have tried encouraging Allen key with mallet - no good.
Applied releasing oil - no good (happy to try a specific product if there is
a particularly good one)

So far only one of the 8 have come out !

Now one way to approach this would be to use an impact driver ... I have a
compressed air 1/2" square drive impact driver, and assorted sockets ... but
would need a 7/32" hex insert ............ anybody know where I can get one
?

Heat or cold or combination of both , blowtorch, oxy torch applied
carefully.

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/44C4013 Freeze and release , not tried
myself but heard good things.

Mig welding nut on top of fastener, heat helps free it and gives good
surface to grip with tool.

Spark erosion was invented to remove snapped taps out of aluminium
radar guides, its the expensive but ultimate way for removing HT steel
from alloy.

7/32 will have too much slop by time come down from 1/2" drive, 6mm
drive T-bar would give more feel and torque would guess.

http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acat... sert_Bits.asp

Cheers
Adam