Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default washing machine question

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:06:18 -0600, Robert Neville wrote:

"nefletch" wrote:

This might seem like an odd observation, but here goes. I have one of
the new front loading washing machines, and they are supposed to use a
lot less water than a conventional washer. If I want to do a hot water
wash, will the hot water actually reach the washing machine by the time
it quits taking water? Approximately how far away, using lets say 1/2
line, will you not get hot water? just a thought

Most modern front loaders have builtin heaters to deal with this.

Yeah, most of the modern ones I saw came with built-in heat. I'm
originally from a country where 99.99% of machines were front-loaders,
and I don't remember anyone there ever worrying about hot water supply
(whether the machine had built-in heat or not) - they just plumbed up the
hot water feed normally and let everything do its thing* with no
problems. Never known anyone with a h/w recirculating system, and never
heard of anyone running water in a nearby sink first, either.

* typically machines over there would do two rinse cycles, so the second
at least should be warm (unless you have a mile of pipe between your
water heater and the machine!)

cheers

Jules