Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default After the basement flood. Now what?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jack" wrote in message
Hello,
Lots of water in the basement due to the NE floods. RI got creamed. I
ripped down the sheetrock, took up the subfloor and laminate. All in a
dumpster now. Fans and dehumidifier are running. I am going to rebuild
the basement.

How long do I need to wait until I can begin rebuilding? I was thinking
at least a few months to ensure everything is really dry. (wood studs
down there)

Thanks for your time.

I'd give it a couple of months. I'd also spray either a bleach solution
or some sort of mold preventer before sealing it up in case thee are some
spores around. Then, depending on the water source, I'd look at
prevention. If it was a rising river, you are SOL, but if it was
groundwater seeping, youy may be able to seal it better or divert it.

We had a lower level room at work get wet a few years back. We removed
the sheetrock, repaired gutters, pave the driveway next to the building,
etc. It was dry for three years. We put up sheetrock a week before the
rains. Fortunately, it was not taped and we took it down and watch the
water come in along the edge of the floor and wall. Consider leaving a
place you can open up and peek in case of water, if it was coming in
behind the wall.

It was a FLOOD.....No amount of sealing or diverting would have
helped...Google New England floods...Here is one from CNN...

(CNN) -- Anuj Arora's house doesn't sit in a flood zone and isn't covered by
flood insurance, but the structure couldn't escape the deluge. The
floodwaters inundating Rhode Island this week soaked the floors and walls of
Arora's split-level ranch house in West Warwick

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/weather/0...ing/index.html