Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default washing machine question

"nefletch" wrote in message
scommunications...
This might seem like an odd observation, but here goes.
I have one of the new front loading washing machines,
and they are supposed to use a lot less water than a
conventional washer. If I want to do a hot water wash,
will the hot water actually reach the washing machine by
the time it quits taking water? Approximately how far
away, using lets say 1/2 line, will you not get hot water?
just a thought

The answer is, It depends.
Heh, if your washer uses as little water as mine, then proly not.

What you can do is put a 1/2" T before the hose connection, and put a valve
and hose on the T, and run the hot water into the utility sink, until it
gets hot. Then start your machine cycle.

Real high-end plumbing systems have a third line, which serves as a hot
water recirculating system, so the HW is always hot at the tap. I think
this was more of a WWII-Manhattan thing, but others may have it.

You could also install a small on-demand water heater, but even the small
ones can use boucou juice, like 4 kW (about like an electric clothes dryer),
albeit for brief periods of time in these quickie cases -- until the "real"
HW kicks in. These are relatively simple installations.

They also make cold-water detergents, so you may not even have to really use
HW.
--
EA