Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Future Space programs Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

" fired this volley in news:72f9470e-
:

The launch computers for the Apollo program were RCA 110A's.

I OWNED the last launch control computer for the Apollo program. It was
a Systems Engineering Labs 840A (SEL-840).

24-bit cpu about the size of a new Honda FIT, all based on ECL and very
early TTL with about two ICs per circuit board, and a backplane that had
about 200 sq ft total area across several hinged panels.

10K words of core memory, ASR-33 output and high-speed optical paper tape
input, two 800bpi reel-to-reel vacuum column tape drives and one mostrous
1MB 19"x 5platter disk drive (total capacity of 1MBG, but at least
removable media!)

Cost me $400 at auction, and a 27-foot UHaul JH to move it. (filled the
truck, too!)

LLoyd