Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default question on termites

clipped

Termites eat slow and breed slow, there is no reason to be in a rush
to treat.

Carpenter ants are another story...

One of many reasons effective insecticides were banned. I've seen
people dump bag after bag of poison on the ground when all that was
needed was cleanup and repair. CA's often go after termite tunnels and
always after damaged wood. Our condo was in crap shap when my husband
purchased and the two of us did all the outside work that got rid of
CA's....damaged wood siding, dead limbs in hedges, rotted wood fence,
leaky roof, etc.

Did the same with fire ants...small amount of bait/poison placed only
where they had nests (always along pavers and patios) and that treatment
lasted, probably, a year. We did a lot of crawling around on the ground
working on broken down sprinkler system, so it was vital to get rid of
fire ants.

Too many people overtreat, trying to get rid of non-pest insects.
Treating for all the ants in a yard is insane. As long as the normal
insects are outdoors, they aren't pests IMO. Some are really beneficial
and people don't realize that fact.
-----

- gpsman