Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default question on termites

clipped

In this current recession, $600 or $1500 or anything like that could easily
be outside the reach of a current homeowners. It could be a disservice if
it fails to treat the infestation, I realize. But I really believe a person
of average intelligence (and I think anyone that posts to AHR is actually
above average IQ - most people don't even do basic research) that owns a
strong flashlight and a long shank screwdriver can do every bit as well as
most of the people pest control companies send out if they do their homework
and ask questions as they go along.

--
Bobby G.

You have lots of good advice. I haven't made my annual soapbox speech
about the difference between "cheap" and "economical"....money's tight,
so no more take-home supper in lieu of home maint. ) I've lost track
of what our condo assn. pays annually for the termite insurance, but
when last aware it was not a huge cost for 8 homeowners....basically
insurance to cover treatment and repair should treatment/inspection
fail. I have never seen a termite inspection as thorough as what I do
myself, including that done when I sold a home. Someone should start
training classes for "Homeowner 101"...seems the majority don't know the
basics that can save a lot of money and a lot of grief. When the day
comes that banks WANT customers for mortgages, they should offer free
classes so people know what they are buying and how to take care of it
before it all goes to heck with unrecognized problems. Okay, I'm done )