BRuce

Default Looking for opinions on mid-size woodturning tools

whoops, bowl gouge if you are going to do any bowls or containers, 3/8
or so.

BRuce

BRuce wrote:

I have the midi set that was offered with the lathe at some point in the
past. other than the parting tool I do not use them. there is too much
flex and chatter. the results will not be as good as full size tools. I
find that a roughing out gouge, a 3/8 spindle gouge, scraper and parting
tool.

the skew is perhaps the most dangerous (at least for me!)as it catchs
the wood very easily. I find the oval much easier to control and have
used a fingernail ground skew with great success.

BRuce

WCD wrote:

I bought a Jet Midi wood lathe for my son for the holiday. Nice
looking tool and something he's been asking about for a while.

I want to buy a starter set of tools for him, but I'm not sure where
to begin. I see a few companies offer "midi" size tools that are
smaller than full size tools. Is this a big advantage? They are
obviously less expensive, but is that the only advantage?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

--
---

BRuce