Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

Elmo wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in
150PSI of C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated
water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are
supposed to explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Lots of experience at rec.crafts.brewing.

If you are just carbonating drinks, there is no reason to go over 50 psi unless
you are in an extreme hurry. Why bother?