Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NTSC versus PAL

Part of the difficulity in understanding is that perhaps you
don't have experience with early American color televisions...
I certainly remember how in the 60s we had to adjust the tint
control on a regular (show by show) basis, because of lack
of consistancy.

Yes -- a lack of consistency. That was not the fault of NTSC, but of the
broadcasters.

Anyone who had one of those old, tube (valve) color sets,
with the 21" round color CRT, will remember seeing green
skies, and blue grass while having skin colors set to the
proper shade. Get the sky blue, and the skin turned red,
or blue, or green!

I don't think that's correct. The cameras (and/or encoders) would have had
to have been very badly set up for that to happen.

On a related subject... I remember reading long, long ago that the first RCA
color TV had /four/ controls for adjusting the color, which the author
described as a "combination lock"! Anyone know anything about this?