Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8052 Ignoramus8052 is offline

Default Reducing diameter of straight drill bits

On 2010-04-07, wrote:
As the others have said, the shanks are soft. Just don't leave a
sharp corner where you turn the thing down, if the drill jams up, it
could leave you with a twisted-off shank in the chuck and the drill
stuck in the work. That's if you've got a drill that can wrap you up
if it jams. Some of the cheapies will just stall out.

I have two drills like that, that could twist my arms. I prefer using
the less powerful drills where possible. It is a very unpleasant
sensation. The application is to enlarge a 5/8 nominal hole to become
a 21/32 hole, and to later tap it for 3/4-10 thread.

This is actually to move that Bridgeport Interact II.