Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default (Part 2) Tests for PbF / SnPb solder

Dave Platt wrote in message
news
In article ,
Wild_Bill wrote:

The reason I didn't mention muriatic acid (swimming pool chemical,

concrete
cleaner/etcher, and good for removing rust from steel) because the

muriatic
I've seen has had a dark amber color.

Hmmm... odd.

The quart of muriatic acid I bought at a local hardware store (to make
PC-board etchant) is water-clear. No color at all, until after I
etched... at which point the copper(II) chloride makes a lovely
blue-green.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

I tried repeating the leaded solder + vinegar heated and potassium iodide
and no yellow colour after a day.

Remembered I had some 10 yearold car-body treatment Loctite Rust Remedy in
the shed.
With SnPb solder shavings and water ,boiled up for 30 seconds turned to a
clear strong orange colour over a cloudy mass , if left to settle.
Boiling the loctite and water on its own remained cloudy cream colour
throughout, no settling out.
Sn/Ag/Cu gave a cloudy very slight yellow colour.
Tried some iron filings, as there is supposed to be a colour change to blue
for rust treatement, and the test tube sample went via grey-green to black.
Will try Cu and Zn filings and Sn filings and then repeat the set again to
see if there is consistency

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm