Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What material for grill grate

On Mar 29, 5:58*pm, whit3rd wrote:

Electric stove elements *have a thin layer of chrome-nickel alloy that
stands up, in my experience, rather well. *Constant showering
of sodium chloride is ... not my cooking style. *That sort of alloy,
Kanthal or
Inconel typical tradenames, is what was suggested.

Kanthal is actually an aluminum iron alloy. It does stand up to heat
well as long is it is in an oxidizing atmosphere. The aluminum in the
alloy forms an aluminum oxide on the surface which prevents
corrosion. It isn't an alloy I would try for a barbeque grill as the
atmoshere may somewhat reducing. That and the only form of Kanthal
that I am aware of is wire for heating elements.

Dan