Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default question on termites

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Find a reputable licensed pest control contractor or two and get an
inspection. Should be done yearly. Fighting fires and termites should
be left to the pro's. Baits are used to control subterranean termites,
which may or may not be what you have.

Good point, which is why I suggested she get a few free inspection. It's my
understanding that if you see mud tubes, you've got the subterranean
variety.

As for cracks, I've watched termites swarm and they emerge from the wood
through holes and slits so tiny they appear to be materializing like magic
on the surface. Perhaps that's what the OP was seeing. Termites also dig
grooves in wood - could be that as well.

Hiring exterminators, sadly, is no guarantee you're really getting a
professional and not some spray happy kid whose last job was as a fry cook
at McDonald's. That's why I would recommend talking to more than one
company.

FWIW, in Australia, the survivors of last year's horrific brush fires were
often the ones that stayed behind to save their own houses. They manned
their generator powered pumps that sprayed a constant stream of water on the
houses to keep embers from landing and igniting. Many died who decided to
evacuate instead, not realizing the fire was all around them.

Sometimes, a professional who is a stranger isn't going to care about you or
your possessions the way you would. I've watched enough inspections to know
how to do one as thoroughly as a pro. It's not rocket science nor is it as
foolish as trying to do a root canal on yourself. It requires no special
tools, just a flashlight, a screwdriver and a hammer.

For me, paying $1000 a year to do what I have been doing successfully myself
for the last five years for under $100 would be tantamount to setting fire
to $900 a year.

I did, however, mail the carcasses of the dead termites to the Agriculture
folks because the nationwide head of the extension service is three miles
away from here in Beltsville, MD. Once they confirmed that they were
subterranean termites, I felt comfortable I was doing the right thing. It's
saved me $4,500 so far.

The fact that my neighbor, who is professionally treated, still has termites
swarming, bolsters my faith in the stakes and my home treatment plan. YMMV,
though. They appear to use the same treatment, but far less bait tubes.
Why pay $1000 to get less of something you can do for yourself for $100?

--
Bobby G.