Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default question on termites

lora wrote:
Hello,

A few days ago, we saw a swarm of winged insects near the edge of the
door in the wooden part. Then later, they had carved small cracks in
the wood.

Is there any kind of recommended spray/chemical that would get rid of
any possible termites living inside of it?

Anything non-toxic would be great.

Also, do you recommend putting termite baits outside the property to
repel them? anything else we can do?

And if we do end up calling termite companies, what is a reasonable
price for the initial application? I emailed one and got a quote of
$600 which seemed really high.

Let me know if you have any ideas. We are newbies to this sort of
problem.

Thanks!

First, identify the insects. Termites don't carve cracks, they tunnel
and have small, round tubes. They could ENTER through cracks or any
other opening like uncaulked joints, plumbing/electrical entries, etc.
They look like ants with wings, sort of. If you can take a sample to
your local extension service, they can ID and also give you valuable
info about treatment. Different kinds of termites require different
treatment. This is the time of year that they "swarm" to mate and set
up new colonies.

If the house is already infested, you can likely find the areas of
infestation. Wood around doors and windows might have hollow sound when
tapped, wings shed around windows and doors, mud tubes inside or outside
foundation or into plumbing access cavities.

Find a reputable licensed pest control contractor or two and get an
inspection. Should be done yearly. Fighting fires and termites should
be left to the pro's. Baits are used to control subterranean termites,
which may or may not be what you have.