Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

In ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

SNIP previously quoted material

Stolen without permission from http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/
episode_42_steel_toe_amputatio.html

Bottle Rocket Blast Off
Myth: You can launch someone 30-40ft with a bottle-rocket-powered
backpack.

"At 60 psi they would need 28 bottles, which is more than the 15 used
in the game show clip, so they decided to see how much more pressure
they could put into the bottles. Using a bike pump they were able to
get a the soda bottles up to 95 psi before their arms gave out.

SNIP from here

There are many bike tires rated to take 105, even 110 PSI.

A decent floor pump can achieve 110-120 PSI in the hands of most
serious cyclists and bike mechanics.

Frame-fit pumps for "road bikes" in my experience can achieve 130-150
PSI. Back when I worked a messenger job, I often pumped my rear tire to
130-140 PSI so that I could carry heavier loads (80-150 pounds) on a rear
rack that I built for the purpose. I made more money that way, and the
motor vehicle messengers in my company were happier to get less business
in the areas where parking was more impossible.

Experience taught me which tires were able to take such abuse, and which
ones were not. (And an extra-loud *KABOOM* would sometimes occur at a
very inconvenient time, such as halfway through a 2 mile delivery run, or
while my bike was parked in my home at 5 AM. Some messengers keep their
bikes in their bedrooms, although I did not combine that with a tire
rated 110-115 PSI and inflated to 130-140 PSI.)

- Don Klipstein )