Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.education.science
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

In ,
JIMMIE wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:01*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:47:03 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:
If you don't believe your own gauges, why would you believe anonymous
blather posted on the net? *If you think your gauges are messed up,
try different gauges and see.

My gauges are old. I don't want blather. I want facts. And references.

I always search first, so, I already did my search and posted the results.
But maybe someone else out there is a better searcher than I am and can
provide a reference. Surely I'm not the best there is.

I did follow up on the suggestion to call Coke (even though I'm using
Trader Joe's bottles).

The Coke plastic PETE bottles (from 20 oz to 2 liters) are either tested to
150 psi or to 250 psi (I'm waiting for them to confirm by mail which ones).

It would be nice to have more references though as I can't be the best
Internest searchist out there....

Coke bottles used for water heater expansion tank

I would be leary about the ability to withstand 150 or 120 PSI being
valid at the highest temperature that can be encountered in this
application. I have had experience with boiling water causing PET soda
bottles to soften and go out of shape without any significant pressure at
all.

- Don Klipstein )