Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R.[_3_] Jeff R.[_3_] is offline

Default Reducing diameter of straight drill bits

"azotic" wrote in message

"Ignoramus17356" wrote in message
I need to drill some 21/32 holes with a hand drill, not accessible to
drill press.

I do not have a reduced shank 21/32 drill bit and new they cost $30+.
I have a 21/32 straight shank drill bit, but it is too wide to fit any
of my handheld electric drills, which go up to 1/2".

I thought I could reduce a shank of that drill bit by simply chucking
it in a lathe and taking off some diameter with a carbide tool. What
are the drawbacks, if any, of doing so?

Hold the drill using a 5C collet, or use a 4 jaw chuck and indicate the
drill
till it runs true. If you use a 3 jaw chuck you may encounter some runout.

....and you won't need a carbide tool ('though it won't hurt).
Drill shanks are nice and soft, and easy to machine. I use HSS tools with
excellent results.

--
Jeff R.