Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill[_3_] Donwill[_3_] is offline

Default Ceramic tiling on Quary tiles

John Rumm wrote:
bp wrote:
Hi

I live in a old terraced house. In the nhallway I lifted up the
carpet to find (original?) red quarry tiles.
All read -- no design/patterns

Not in a particulary good state with lots of chips. But the majority
are stuck fast. About 2 or 3 are loose and can be liftted away.

I want to cover the floor with ceramic tiles. Should I remove all the
tiles or can I simply remove the loos tiles level the floor and tile
over. The floor seems sound in all other ways.

You can tile over if they are sound. If they are highly glazed then
roughening the surface with some coarse sandpaper can help.

One possible problem is the extra height - this may make for a step to
other finished floor levels, or require doors be trimmed down.

Old tiles may have been laid without a damp course under them, check
that there is no damp before laying new tiles over them. Suggest you lay
a piece of glass on them sealing the edges with putty or some such
sealant, if you have rising damp it will condense out on the under
surface of the glass.
Don