Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

In ,
Elmo typed:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle
explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've
put in 150PSI of C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly
thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles
are supposed to explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup
for home carbonation, please let me know.

Good grief: If a bottle broke open it because it froze, that
had to do with the expansion of the contents, not the
carbonation. You can do the same thing with plain water for
pete's sake.

Many people hoodwinked here - it had nothing to do with the
carbonation and knowing the exploding point of the bottles
isn't much use when it's pressure from freezing and expanding
contents inside the plastic, and even less to do with home
carbonation. When liquid cools, it expands - which can burst
bottles, metal pipes, whatever.