Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:34:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo
wrote:

Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.
http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

I have a compressed air horn on my bicycle that uses a soda bottle as
the presssure tank. It has warnings all over it not to exceed 70 PSI,
and that is for a soda bottle that has had an additional safety sleeve
on it to prevent flying shards.

The horn proly doesn't need more than 20-30 psi -- I'da thought a hose
straight to your ass would produce that easily, on command.
I thought you were a Greenie, anyway....
--
EA

The plastic gets brittle when cold, so that would be an additional
factor to consider.

I cannot imagine why you would want anywhere near 150 PSI for soda.