Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2carbonation)

On Apr 6, 4:34*pm, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone know at what PSI a typical plastic soda bottle explodes?

I've built a home carbonation system. The gauges say I've put in 150PSI of
C02 into the Trader Joe's (admittedly thick) carbonated water bottles.

Nothing happened (with respect to explosions).

Yet, as I dig on the web, I find that plastic soda bottles are supposed to
explode at 120 to 150psi.http://community.nbtsc.org/wiki/HomeMadeSoda

Obviously I need more data.

Do you have data points showing when soda bottles explode?

PS: If there's a soda or carbon dioxide related newsgroup for home
carbonation, please let me know.

Stolen without permission from http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...amputatio.html

Bottle Rocket Blast Off
Myth: You can launch someone 30-40ft with a bottle-rocket-powered
backpack.

"At 60 psi they would need 28 bottles, which is more than the 15 used
in the game show clip, so they decided to see how much more pressure
they could put into the bottles. Using a bike pump they were able to
get a the soda bottles up to 95 psi before their arms gave out. In
order to find the failure point of the bottles they hooked up the
pneumatic pump from Grant's "Deadblow" battle robot. The soda bottles
exploded at 150 psi and the water cooler bottles exploded at 95 psi,
so they decided that using soda bottles was better for the test even
though they got much more lift out of the water cooler bottle."